General Information regarding Carbon Monoxide
The burning of all fossil fuels produces carbon monoxide (CO) and there
have been deaths and serious injuries from CO poisoning in tents and
Do not use stoves or disposable barbecues (for cooking or warmth) in an
enclosed space with poor ventilation.
Don't use gas fridges or heaters inside tents.
Caravanners should have gas-powered appliances serviced annually.
Also don't be lulled into a safe sense of security just by having a
carbon monoxide detector in your tent or awning. They are designed to be
used in buildings, and sometimes caravans and motorhomes, but won't
necessarily be fully effective in a tent or awing. Take one of course, but
please don't rely solely on it and ignore the other precautions just because
you have one.
General Fire Advice from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is issuing safety advice to caravanners and campers following a tragic fire on a Barmouth campsite in June 2011. The fire in a caravan on Sunnysands Caravan Park, Talybont, near Barmouth, occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning (June 11), and claimed the lives of a 58 year old man and his 26 year old son.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is advising those planning a break in a caravan or tent to keep the advice below in mind:
- Ensure tents or caravans are kept at least six metres apart.
- Find out what the fire-fighting arrangements are on the campsite and where the nearest telephone is.
- Fit an optical smoke alarm in your caravan
- Keep a torch handy for emergencies. Do not use a candle.
- Do not leave children alone in a caravan.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Do not overload electric sockets or extension leads if you have access to a power supply and make sure electrical appliances are working correctly
- Keep flammable liquids and gas cylinders away from tents.
- Do not cook inside your tent.
- Be prepared to cut your way out of your tent in the event of a fire.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP AND ROLL.
- Oil burning appliances should not be used in or around tents.
- Cooking appliances should not be used in small tents.
- Do not smoke inside tents.
If there is a fire:
- Get everyone out straight away. Fires in tents and caravans spread very quickly.
- Call the fire and rescue service.
- Give a map reference, if possible. Otherwise give a landmark such as a farm or pub to help the fire and rescue service locate you.
For more information and updates please see the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service website